Bill Versions Missing for Most States

I’m playing around with the new API, and none of the bill documents or versions appear to be populated. This is surprising, since the v1 API had versions and documents for almost every bill.

The query I’m running is limited to a few states, admittedly.

States Missing versions (but had them in v1): California, Illinois, Massachusetts, New York

States With Versions: Florida, New Jersey, and Texas.

The query (changing the jurisdiction as needed):

{
  bills(first:2, jurisdiction:"New Jersey") {
    edges {
      node {
        identifier
        title
        versions {
          note
          date
          links {url}
        }
        documents {
          note
          date
          links {url}
        }        
        sources {url}
      }
    }
  }
}

Am I missing something? Is there a bug somewhere? Are versions dropped?

I’ll take a look, I think this is a bug- we should have versions in v2

I believe that if you look at a few more bills, you’ll see versions. There are often cases where a bill doesn’t have a version, but I checked and there are versions in the database for every state.

Right now 6,838 bills don’t have a version- but that’s out of 225922 bills.

If the problem seems to persist or you notice a pattern (I didn’t yet check if there’s anything going on where we’re missing versions from a chamber or similar) when you look at a wider set of bills definitely open a ticket and we’ll keep investigating

I’m moving several crawlers to use v2 api, so I should be able to verify this is the case (that ~7k bills do not have a version, but the vast majority do have one) in a few days.

Sounds good, let me know if you notice any bigger anomaly here and I’ll investigate further if there’s something keeping the API from fully reflecting the database’s contents