Get current state from a person?

Hello,

I’m relatively new here and have enjoyed exploring the data. I’m working on some updates to an app where we pull in a series of legislative information about a person (their name, photo, office(s) where they work, and more. I’m having trouble getting the following information about a person specifically, the state where they are a legislator.

To do so, first I look up the person:

{
  person(id:"ocd-person/70b66c63-35f1-416d-9816-79d5752481a6"){
    name
    currentMemberships (classification: ["legislature", "upper", "lower"] ) {
   	 label
   	 personName
      organization {
        id
        name
        classification
      }
    }
  }
}

From there I can look up information about the organization and find that there is a parent organization for the CA state legislator:

{
  organization(id:"ocd-organization/e70e812e-44d2-46b0-9eae-2f3b9a1d5150") {
    name
    id
    classification
    extras
    parent {
      name
      id
    }
  }
}

And while I can see in this example the name is “California State Legislature”, is there a way for me to find out that this organization is actually based in California? It seems like that may be available through ‘Division’ or ‘Jurisdiction’ but I don’t see a way to filter jurisdictions this way.

If there is a more efficient way of getting to this information, any help would be appreciated!

It seems like you need to navigate from person to jurisdiction, and AFAICT, there’s no way to do that. Most folks are working in a context where the user implicitly or explicitly starts with a state that they’re interested in.

On the other hand, you later say “I don’t see a way to filter jurisdictions this way” which makes me wonder if I’m misunderstanding. If so, you might want to check out my post

Thanks Ed, I am trying to navigate from a person to see which one of the 50 US states (or DC) they represent, and I think that would be via jurisdiction, but it sounds like there isn’t any straight forward way to do that…

What I meant by this:

I don’t see a way to filter jurisdictions this way

Was that I thought maybe I could query ‘all’ jurisdictions and filter by a related person somehow, but I don’t think that’s possible either.

So, maybe I have to query to get every chamber of every state, and then get every legislator in every one of those chambers. I can save those locally and then search through them for the legislator I want and work backwards from there.

Not terribly efficient but possible in theory. If you or anyone has any more efficient ideas though, I’d love to test them out.

Yes, getting all the legislators for all the states is, AFAIK, necessary for this kind of query at this time.

If you want to file a feature request, here’s where to do it: