How to make efficient query for multiple legislators

Hi, I’m trying to update some data I have with API V2 ids instead of the deprecated V1 ones.

This is more of a graphql fundamentals question so feel free to close if off topic! Also obligatory “thank you so much for working on this amazing resource” that I’m sure you hear a lot.

I am trying to map through legislator names and create a single query for all legislators instead of making individual queries for each names (which works without a problem). I thought I could use graphql “aliases” to do so but so far no dice.

Here’s an abbreviated version of my query so far, I know if must have incorrect syntax because it causes errors (won’t even let me copy paste in the graphiql editor):

query getLegislatorId($organization: String ) {
Barrett_Michael : people(name: "Barrett, Michael ", everMemberOf: $organization, first: 1) {
    edges {
      node {
        id
        name
      }
    }
  } Boncore_Joseph: people(name: "Boncore, Joseph", everMemberOf: $organization, first: 1) {
    edges {
      node {
        id
        name
      }
    }
  } 
}

Thank you!

When I paste your query into graphiql and provide an organization, it works “fine”, but gets back no results - the edges arrays are empty. Take a look at the result of this variant:

query getLegislatorId($organization: String) {
  Barrett_Michael: people(name: "Michael J. Barrett", everMemberOf: $organization, first: 1) {
    edges {
      node {
        id
        name
      }
    }
  }
  Boncore_Joseph: people(everMemberOf: $organization, first: 100) {
    edges {
      node {
        id
        name
      }
    }
  }
}

used with variable

{ "organization": "ocd-organization/1a75ab3a-669b-43fe-ac8d-31a2d6923d9a" }

From this I infer that name matching must be exact or at least different from what you provided (Michael J. Barrett" vs “Barrett, Michael”, and that for some reason Joseph Boncore is missing.

Thank you!! By looking at what you posted I realized the 1) organization id was wrong in that sample query and 2) I could use what you posted to double check my query creation. This code ended up working:

const makeQuery = names => `
   query getLegislatorIds($organization: String ) {
    ${names.map((name, index) => {
      return `
        _${index} : people(name: "${getNormalizedLastName(
        name
      )}", everMemberOf: $organization, first: 1) {
          edges {
            node {
              id
              name
            }